The results of this IDC study show the current transformation of the IT landscape in German companies. The requirements of the business departments are clearly defined: They require an IT infrastructure that allows them a high degree of flexibility and agility. As a result, more than a third of the companies participating in the study say they want to comprehensively modernize their own IT infrastructure. But for all this flexibility, neither IT compliance and IT security nor costs should be neglected.
In focus: Cloud-first and colocation data centers
IDC surveyed 200 medium-sized and large companies from 12 different industries. Business unit decision-makers had their say, as did IT decision-makers. The results of the study conducted in Germany are trend setting:
- The majority of the IT decision-makers surveyed see the greatest benefit in the medium term in a cloud-first strategy. Cloud-only, on the other hand, is favored by only a minority.
- More than 80% of the companies surveyed use colocation data centers today. That is 20% more than last year.
- Higher agility, flexibility and automation as well as the reduction of data silos are among the top three topics that require a conceptual solution approach with high priority in the next 24 months.
- By far the most important driver for implementing a cloud strategy is strengthening enterprise resilience and robustness (29%).
- Based on the experience already gained, the majority of companies are currently still relying on a weighting of 70% on-premises and 30% cloud. According to the study participants, this ratio will reverse for most companies in the next 4 years.
The combination of a cloud-first strategy and colocation is no coincidence, as the study shows. Colocation data centers impress with higher IT security, rapid provisioning of resources and access to the latest technologies.
The IDC Executive Brief summarizes the key findings of the study, where you will find out, among other things:
- what benefits cloud computing offers you
- where the challenges lie
- why edge computing is a key component of digital transformation
- how matrix technology GmbH realized higher security standards and fast access to cloud services
To access the study summary, please fill out the form below.